Top U.S. cake decorators to compete in Las Vegas
Posted By Bakery.com - on Sep 25, 2016
Only two more weeks until some of the country's top professional cake decorators compete in Las Vegas for the 15th Annual Pillsbury Bakers' Plus Creative Decorating Competition organized by the Retail Bakers of America (RBA). The competition, which will feature six two-person teams, will be held during the 2016 International Baking Industry Exposition (IBIE), Oct. 8-11, at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
The teams will challenge each other for the coveted title of Pillsbury Bakers' Plus Grand Champion as well as $14,000 in cash prizes. The competition is open to all professional cake decorators or pastry chefs currently working full- or part-time in a cake/cupcake shop, retail or supermarket bakery. The following teams were selected to compete, based on winning a regional competition or by portfolio submission:
- Jamie VanderWoude (Hy-Vee) and Erika Youndahl (Jerry's Foods)
- Chris Andrews (Kirsten's Danish Bakery) and Tammy Montesinos (Sweet T's Bakery and Cake Studio)
- Sarah Crews and Daniel Lively (Ele Cake Company)
- Jennifer Claggett and Sabrina Fiffe (Love Cakes by Dorothy Lane)
- Christy Vega-Gluch and Kim Crapps (Itsy Bitsy Confections)
- Kate White and Melissa Kroger (Honeymoon Bakery)
Each squad will compete in four categories: wedding cake, rolled fondant, tiered graduation and sculpted. The highest scoring team, as determined by a panel of judges, will be awarded the coveted Pillsbury Baker's Plus Grand Champion Trophy. Gold, silver and bronze medals, along with cash prizes will also be awarded for the highest three scores in each category.